Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Time for change

I have been hearing those words a lot lately and have tried my hardest to avoid them. I was successful for the most part with the exception of those times when I picked up the phone without checking the caller ID first, or not flipping through commercials fast enough. The truth is that change scares me. Why can't life go on like it is? Although I felt like the presidential election was not about choosing good or evil but rather the lesser of two evils, I really felt like all would be well in the end. When I heard Obama giving his victory speech my heart felt cold. He is not speaking of the kind of change that I want to be a part of. I fear for the unknown future that his leadership could bring. The council we have been given is that "if ye are prepared, ye shall not fear." I think that is the real problem. I am not prepared. I don't have a full year supply of the things my family needs to survive. I have not been successful in growing a garden. We live within our means but don't have much set aside. We are close but not completely debt free. All of this combined has left me feeling uneasy and sad. It should already be done, taken care of. So I will work on that. In the meantime I will keep my head up and allow my positive husband to keep telling me that it will be OK. I have much to be positive about: a great family, good health, many people that love me, the gospel, and a peaceful home (for the most part) with warm beds and food to eat. And even if it has to get worse before it gets better I will always have my family and my testimony of Jesus Christ. That really is all that matters in the end.

2 comments:

Heather said...

well said. I think that may be why I am scared too.

laurie said...

I don't know if any of us feel completely prepared. Of course, the unknown is always scary. Just remember that we are not alone, in many ways. He is mindful of us and we are mindful of each other. Take comfort.