Friday, December 19, 2008
Donut hole
I have been intentionally procrastinating all of the things I need to finish making for Christmas. The list is quite long and the days are passing by and yet I decided to take the day off. So this was the plan: no plan at all! David was off to school and Braydon & Jason were in full pretend mode so I started on cleaning the kitchen. Much too long later the kitchen was clean enough to make cake cookies for our Enrichment activity that evening. I tried a new recipe...why do I do that?..but this one only had three ingredients: cake mix (I used a chocolate), one egg, and 8oz of cool chip. Chocolate cake and cool whip, can you really mess that up? Thankfully, no. They turned out great. So much so that Braydon & Jason ate 11 of them before I found out. Lucky for them the phone rang before I had time to punish. It was Mrs. Dieu asking if I was supposed to pick up Tanner? Yes, tomorrow. No, today. 15 minutes ago, actually. I didn't mention earlier that I have yet to shower (day off, remember) and that the day before I had a really bad headache so I was smothered in oils which means really greasy hair. I thankfully threw on a bra and jumped in the car. As we are pulling back on to Power Rd. the van is driving funny. I stopped and got out, stepping in the mud with only socks on. Flat tire, no not flat tire, off the rim tire. Lots of thoughts begin racing through my brain: 'I hope Matt is close by. Where's my cell phone? On the computer table. Now, what? I can't walk back, none of us have shoes on but Tanner. My mom would kill me if she knew I got in the car without shoes. I really don't know how to work the jack. I always wear shoes "just in case" that is what mom always taught me. If I call Matt from a different phone he isn't going to answer. I don't know when Jenny is coming to pick up her son and will she panic if we aren't there? Dumb Tire Pros. I told them my tire pressure light kept coming on but they said there wasn't anything wrong with my brand new tires. What am I going to do?' So I got out of my car and began making a "hang loose" sign and putting it up to my ear hoping someone would understand I needed to use a phone. Finally a very kind lady stopped. Matt didn't answer, no surprise there. Back in the car, kids are getting stir crazy, so I break out the owner's manual. 'I can probably do this but there is a guy working over there maybe I could text Matt.' He just calls him instead. Matt answered. "Um, just a minute, I'll let you talk to your wife." Matt says he is coming. I decided to start getting the stuff ready to change the tire. Matt pulled up and I immediately told him he needed to start answering the phone even if he didn't recognize the number. He is very quiet and dutifully changes the tire. This is by the way the 2nd time he has had to do this in the last 4 months. Not to mention all of the times I have said that my tires are flat or that my tire pressure light keeps coming on. Dumb Tire Pros guy. He gets the tire off and the spare on and off we go to Tire Pros. I jump out and as I am walking inside I catch a glimpse of what I look like. Yikes! My greasy hair is now half stuck to my forehead and my little wispy hairs have joined forces looking like twigs sticking out of my head. My pony tail holder isn't tight and half of my hair is hanging down on one side. I am in my pajamas, thank goodness again for the bra, and my socks are muddy. At least the guy didn't even attempt to mess with me. He came right out and took the old tire and said he'd order me a new one. You'd better believe it! It did happen to have a hole in the side wall as well as a nail so it wasn't just my scary look that moved him to action. I knew it wasn't a faulty sensor! Back at home Matt finally reveals that he almost hit a horse on his way to rescue me. He was within inches and fully expected to make contact. Oh...I'm so sorry, honey. I didn't mean to be ungrateful. Thank you for saving me, again. Is there a clause in the marriage contract that says that husbands are in charge of changing flat tires? If not, please don't tell Matt. I did watch very closely this time so I really could do it. Again, don't tell Matt.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I am so sorry! What a horrible mess. I couldn't change a tire. Occasionally I drive the kids to school with no shoes, but I hestitate every time thinkning "what if". I almost always go back for my phone though. I wish I were close enough you could have just hiked to my house or something. Thank goodness for "tomorrow"s.
Again I am so sorry! I owe you big time! You are a wonderful friend! Thank you for helping me out! By the way we have a blog too. It is littlejenvj.blogspot.com
oh I feel so bad you went through that. That could be me any day, no shower, no shoes and no phone when I take the kids to school at 6:30 in the morning. Luckily I drive past your house every day and it would be your house I would be knocking on the door to. so call me anytime. You definetely had a Calgon day.
Ok, All these "I am soo sorry"s I just laughed through the whole thing! Hehe. And I'm telling Mom you left without shoes! I bet that tire guy was VERY scared of you! And HOW did you get your own car without having the lecture on changing a tire and the oil? That was drilled into me and Tammi and Sheri before we EVER got to drive! Not fair you being the youngest girl I tell you! Hope tomorrow is better! Love ya, Sis.
Post a Comment