Monday, March 9, 2009

How Much Can One Chick Take?

I never knew that chickens were in the hearty bird category. At least ours seem to be, to which I am extremely grateful. So how much torture can nine egg laying fowls endure?

When they were only about three weeks old we found Jason holding a rake with a chick precariously perched on top. He then proceeded to launch the chick into the air, soaring above the porch roof. The poor chick flapped it's wings with all of its might to the great delight of my boys. As he was being scolded he rated on his brother by saying, "David's the one who made it hit the porch."

New rule: No playing with the chicks.

Fast forward a week or so. We had friends over and everyone was playing so nicely. I checked out the window and saw Jason pulling the wagon with all of the kids happily running behind. So cute. No wait. What is that mashed up against the side of the wagon? Three chicks.

New rule: No playing with the chicks. Do not touch the chicken cage.

We moved the chickens into their coop. A few minutes later all three boys were climbing into the makeshift coop- removing a few boards and nails in the process.

New rule: Stay away from the chicken coop.

Three months old. I sent Jason out to check to see how much water was left in the tank. When he didn't return right away I went to investigate. I found a chicken laying at his feet while Braydon repeatedly kicked it with all of his might. I am horrified and begin screaming at them to let it go. The chicken doesn't move. I had just found out moments before that Nana was dying. I cried and cried over my poor chicken. I put oils on it. I prayed it would get better. I checked on it every hour. I didn't look at either child for a long time. What possessed them to kick a chicken to its death? It didn't die. It hopped around on one leg for a couple weeks but now it is fine.

New rule: Do not touch the chickens!!! Don't even walk next to the coop or you're busted!
We attached an industrial strength lock to the coop. It is now mom's duty to feed and water the chickens because the boys can't be trusted to not hurt them in the process.


Even with all of these rules I am constantly telling all three boys to get off the coop, leave the chickens alone, stop opening the roost box, stop, stop, stop. Every time there is an offense there is a punishment. So far it isn't working.

Four months old. The boys were inside watching a movie so I let the chickens roam while I restocked their supplies. I came out of the garage with feed (less than a minute later) to see Jason "bowling for buzzards." He had gone outside and the chickens had bolted for the coop. Even they don't trust him. Since they were all contained he decided to throw a baseball at their feet to see if they would fly jump or get knocked down.
Rule Review: No playing with the chickens. Do not touch the chickens. Stay away from the chicken coop. Don't even walk by the coop. LEAVE THE CHICKENS ALONE!!!

Jason has found the hidden key three times yet has not been able to open the lock.

Three days after the last offense. I heard the chickens making a fuss, which was odd since they don't really even cluck a whole lot. I ran out to see Jason and Braydon inside the cage running in circles and the chickens flying and bolting in every direction to get away. The big yellow lock was still in place. They pulled on the wires to make a hole to climb through. Matt is going to be thrilled. I removed them from the area, put a piece of wood up to block the hole, and went inside to call Matt. He didn't answer. I walked back outside and found Jason running across the yard, dragging a limp brown bundle. He had tied a rope around its neck! So many rules broken on that one. Again I thought I would be burying a chicken. Yet once again, she didn't move much for a few minutes but now she is OK. Jason? Not so much. After getting spanked with the belt and spending an entire hour in his room, which was much more painful for me than him, we'll see if he learned his lesson this time. My bet? Nope.

8 comments:

laurie said...

Oh Sheesh! I have been considering chickens but now I'm not so sure. I don't know why boys are so "curious" like that. Stephen got in big trouble in first grade because he was "kicking" a mostly dead bird around the playground. The teacher called me and let me know that he had traumatized his classmates and needed a good lesson on respecting animals. I have no idea why they are like that! I really think its pretty normal if that's any comfort. Still frustrating, I know.

Rachel Hanchett said...

Oh WOW! I wish I could help in some way, those poor chickens but is sounds like you've got some serious faith and a healing touch so keep at it!

Lulu said...

You need an animal that will bite them back. They learn pretty quick... at least my kids did.

Heather said...

I am with Julia. I wish I had an answer for you. Wyatt was my only one who would get into our chicken coop but we would find him in 110 degree heat with a ski cap on and bathing suit snuggling all the chickens just loving them. Maybe I can send him over to show them how to take care of them.

Jake and Jenny said...

Our chickens are full grown now, but Tanner still chases them, grabs them and then throws them as far as he can. Needless to say they try to stay clear of him! Three boys and baby chickens is a fun equation!

Unknown said...

Oh Shelli, I am so sorry for the rough life your chickens have endured. Had I known, I probably would not have talked you into them. But they are hardy and I'm so glad they have all survived. However, they may never lay if they don't get some peace. Your children, on the other hand, have probably never known such joy. I think they might need a pet of some sort. Something that can take the rough love of three young boys. Good luck with that!!

The Price Family said...

Hey Sis, I've got an 80lb bundle of slobering joy that would dare your energetic bunch to keep up! And I'd be happy to loan him to you til my gilrs need him around again. He's virtually unbreakable and would never hurt a fly on purpose...just knock the tar out of them while playing!!!

gena said...

Love it! My kids love our chickens-especially the baby stage. We've never lost any to too much love-just other natural enemies :)