Sunday, January 25, 2009

Share And Share Alike

When I was 18 a local radio station had a birthday contest. They called out a date and the first caller won $1o2.50. January 20th was called and I furiously dialed the number. I WON! When I picked up my check I was told that I was the only one that responded that day. I took that to mean I was the only one out there. Since then I now have four special people that share the same birthday.

Ann Allen aka Mom & Grandma


Johnathen Lewis

My sister Jodi gave birth to him on my 18th birthday.

Dalin Smith

Son of my friend Laurie and David's new Pokemon sidekick.


Last but not least is a special lady named Viola Lynch. I was her VT when David was a toddler. I learned many life lessons from her. When I first met her she was living with her daughter and had just recently broken her leg. She wasn't recovering very quickly but she had her heart set on being able to return to serving as a temple worker. It took a few years to get there but she felt strong enough with the use of a walker. I was able to drive her to her interview. Jason was still a screaming infant so I drove circles in the parking lot while she went in. She came back out a completely different person. She was denied her desire to serve. I sadly watched as her will to live rapidly declined. The one thing she wanted most, to serve her Heavenly Father, wasn't going to happen in this life. She once told me that she would just have to get her work done on the other side with a body that would cooperate. I was honored to be asked to sing at her funeral and I felt the angels helping me through. I regret that I didn't make a greater effort to be there for her. She was lonely and sad and I could have done better to bring her happiness. Yes, it was hard because I had little kids but it could have been done. I won't make that mistake again.

1 comment:

Jodi said...

Not only did I give birth to Johnathen on your birthday, but also in the same hospital that your were born in - and you drove by on your way home from a snow day not knowing I was there having him!